Local SEO Guide for Home Improvement Companies
Are you looking for an easy way to help more customers find your business? In marketing geek, we call this Local SEO. To help, we created this Local SEO Guide for Home Improvement Businesses including:
- Lumber Yards
- Building Suppliers
- Home Centers
- Design Showrooms
- and Contractors
What is Local SEO?
As you know, everyone finds information by using their phone. We ask phones everything, including where to buy stuff. Search engines (like Google and Bing) want to help us. So now they have Local Search Listings to help people get the information they are looking for, that is "near them".
Why is my businesses information listed on a Map?
It’s easier for Google to show businesses that are "near you" by using a map. But viewing a map pin with a location, isn’t very helpful. To provide more information about businesses, the map pin links to a Google My Business card. This helps your customers get the information they need without visiting your website.
Yep, that is right. Your customers are out there, and they may not be clicking all the way through to your website. Disappointing right? Well, yes and no… the upside of this is Google makes it easier for your business to appear in searches. But now it is very important to keep your listings updated and correct.
How do I know if my business will show on Local Search Maps?
Chances are, your business is already listed, unless you are opening a new location. Don’t start a new listing. It makes it harder for Google and other Search Engines to list your business correctly. Instead, you want to search for and claim your existing listings.
Google My Business is the easiest one to start with. Search for your business’s name in the search bar. Then, you will see your listing on the right-hand side of the screen, like this:
The next step is to Claim Your Listing, clicking on the copy “Own this business?” and following the directions.
Once you have access, you should review, fix and add to the information on your Google My Business listing. Click here to learn how.
Google My Business Quick Tips
- When claiming and fixing your listings - your business’s name, address, and phone number should be the same. If you Google “KathodeRay Media”, you will see that the name KathodeRay is always spelled the same. Our office number and address is always the same everywhere.
- Make sure to add as many products and services as possible. Start with products and services that are either most profitable or most popular.
- Keep your hours updated, especially if your business closes during holidays.
What if we have more than one location?
You can list all your retail or office locations. Be certain that your name is the same everywhere. For example, we would always have our company name listed as “KathodeRay Media”. We wouldn’t have different names like “KathodeRay Media NY”, “KathodeRay Media Cali”, and “KathodeRay Media Southeast”. Even if we had locations in New York, California and the Southeast.
Are there other Local SEO Map listings?
Yes. Bing Places and Apple Maps have local listings.
Bing Places can integrate with Google My Business. So, if you have Google My Business listings claimed and updated, it’s quick and easy to sync it up with Bing:
- Instant verification if already verified on Google My Business.
- Save time as your business details are pre-filled. You can edit after importing if details are obsolete.
- You can choose to sync with Google My Business weekly, biweekly, or monthly.
Apple Maps isn't as easy or straightforward to claim, but it is important, especially for customers who have iPhones.
Should I update any other Local Directories, Websites and Apps?
There are also other websites and apps that can help customers find your Business. One of the most popular is Yelp. These websites are less and less relevant now. People don’t want to remember to use a separate app or use Google to then search on Yelp. (They can find the information they need on Google now.) We have a long list of local directories, websites and apps.
It is a good idea to check to see if your business appears on them and correct any information. If you aren’t sure where to start, search for your company’s name on Google, and then look through the pages. You’ll see what websites list your business. Click on each to review and update the information for each one.
Should I invest in Lead Generating websites?
There are several Home Improvement websites that help contracting businesses get leads.
Local SEO Guide Summary
If you want your lumber yard, home center, design showroom or contracting business found by local customers... the easiest way to start is by using Google.
- Search for your company name on Google
- Claim and update your Google My Business Card.
- Find any other websites your business has listing on, correcting and adding information.
- Don’t forget to make sure your company name, address and phone is the same everywhere.
- Keep your businesses’ hours correct and updated. (Especially during holidays).